Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Yes, I Jumped Out of A Perfectly Good Plane [VIDEO FOOTAGE]

I Jumped Out of A Perfectly Good Plane

I never heard that popular phrase before until I announced one day on Facebook that I was going all out on my 35th birthday – skydiving, for the first time.  Yes, I jumped out of a perfectly good plane.
If you know me, you’d KNOW that skydiving and Lakeisha in the same sentence doesn’t even make ANY sense. For years I have always talked down going to certain amusement parks because I was deathly afraid of roller coasters. When I would go to the local carnivals, I was the one taking pics and encouraging others along. I was the baby/stroller watcher, the food and purse holder, and laugher-atter lol. (my own word)
I remember a few years back, going to Sea World, and there was one ride that looked like a big wooden log that slowly ascended upwards, I dunno about some 40 feet up and then seemed to free fall down until you reached the water…I let my stepson talk me into going on that ride, because it didn’t look THAT scary.
That feeling…you know what I’m talking about, when you go down fast, and it literally feels like your SOUL is about to be snatched out of your body and left behind? Your body kinda trembles as you try to keep your soul inside? Yeah, I don’t like that feeling at all. Some people get a rush out of it.  Well…after going down like that I was so upset. I angrily told them to NEVER make me go on ANY of those rides AGAIN!

Back to Skydiving…

So imagine everyone’s surprise when I said I was going to skydive? Yeah people didn’t believe me. Others egged me on, and still most others kept asking, ‘Why would you jump out of a perfectly good plane?’ My ex told me I was going through a midlife crisis. Nah! I wanted to do something exciting, spontaneous NEW, and test my risk limits.
So on that day, August 10th, my sister and I went skydiving on a bright sunny afternoon in Temple, Texas. See both videos below. The first video is the actual skydive footage. The second video is me sharing my experience RIGHT after we got back and settled.
Keisha’s First Jump


 After Jumping Out of A Perfectly Good Plane
And believe this…the little old lady in the video, was jumping her 964th jump. She was trying to get to 1,000 jumps by her 65th birthday which was at the end of August.We also got a cup of beer after the jump. A couple days later, we went to Six Flags and I braved it – went on EVERY SINGLE big roller coaster there. With a little coaxing and reminding myself I jumped 12,000 feet out of a perfectly good plane, the comparison was nothinnnn, and I did it!  Happy Birthday to me!
Life is about taking risks sometimes, breaking the rules…or maybe amending them a little bit. I am living life to the fullest but I do think sometimes we have to be uncomfortable to get what we want! Do you want something? Do you take risks? Be your OWN boss.

Til next birthday!
Lakeisha M Williams
P.S. I would do it again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment